Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Of Bolly Trees...

You knew that this post had to come. Sooner or later... there had to be a rant about this. So here it goes.

Bollywood.

Firstly, apologies to all those offended by that term. I had to do it.

Moving on.

The very mention of the word gives me shivers. Not the good kind... and not for the most common reasons. I'm fine with the movies they make. I don't watch them... but I'm sure they're good. And most of my country likes them, so there must be something worth appreciating, right? Yeah.

But my issue with 'Bollywood' is completely different. Its got to do with the name.
"Bollywood? But its just like Hollywood, except more desi, yaar"

Shut up. Those are the three most irritating words I've ever heard, all in one sentence. My nightmare sentence.
Anyway.

And I've said the name bothers me. I hear you asking "Why should the name bother you? Its like the guy said... just more desi, yaar"

No, I was just joking. ofcourse the name doesn't bother me. Why should the name bother me? It's only the most uncreative name I've ever come across. What could I possibly have against it?

Let me elaborate. To start of with, I shall list its good points. To start off with, they've decided to rebrand Hollywood, and give themselves a more 'western' appeal, instead of creating their own identities. That's always a good thing.

And then they've gone and named themselves 'Bollywood'. The name is so amazing! Infact, its so amazing, that it warrants two exclamation marks !!

I'm sure Hollywood has a reason for its name. There's a forest, just below the Hollywood sign, and that forest, or 'wood' is largely made up of Holly trees. so obviously we've got to have a wood of Bolly trees, right?

And the disease doesn't stop there. We've got Tolly trees, Kolly trees, and even Molly trees. Yes. Molly trees.

As far as I know, this is all we've got. (Heaven help us if there are more).

I think this epitomises how un-creative and boring this country has become.

Mollywood.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh there are more...lots more... google and you shall find.. apparently the Kannada movie industry is called "Sandalwood" and the Pakistani movie place is called "Lollywood"!!

These blokes must have been influenced by "An ape called ape, and a tookie bird called tookie"

Anonymous said...

Lollywood ... haha, yes,must be a forest made of lollipops ... !!

I wholly appreciate your thoughtiness Kitchi, very good one, made me think about two things I never watched too ...... no, I mean in all seriousness, I'm truly impressed by your assessment and choice of the topic and problem ..... I'll have to say that's truly clever !!


love,
a roasted banana

Suzie said...

Mollywood is funny.
Haha.

Has anyone heard Morningwood? Don't. They suck.

This comment was a Song To Woody.

Smart, huh?

Aashirwad Viswanathan Anand said...

You're just have a prejudice.

Kitchi said...

Susan : Song To woody. Exactly what I was thinking.

Aash : No.

Anonymous said...

have you ever heard of the tamil movie industry Kollywood and the telugu one Toolywood and so on... Your comment on unoriginality.. they are giving credit to the Hollywood industry as most stories are lift off from there!!