Tuesday, October 7, 2008

An Update.

This is the latest in the 'An ...' series.

No joke.

In the midst of the chaos that is this update, I realised that the last time I really sat down and wrote something well was... well, was a while back. 

Compared to the tripe that's generally on this blog, one of the July updates was pretty good. 

Hm.

Ah. Here's a test. See if you can make head or tail of the following statement.

"It is impossible by means of inanimate material agency to derive mechanical effort from any portion of matter by cooling it below the temperature of the coldest of the surrouding objects"

While studying, hurriedly, this is the last thing you want to come across. A string of seven words which takes you about half and hour to decipher.
And then you find the whole thing is explained three lines later. 
Frustrating, to say the least.

The prerogative of scientists to embellish their phrases with unnecessarily long and cumbersome words seems banal. Just since their average intelligence might or might not be at a loftier level than most, it does not rest on them to furnish their sentences with unnaturally long words. This habit of theirs entices ululations of frustation from me, and I strongly believe this practice should cease with immediate effect, to save mental trauma on the part of me, and several other students.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"It is impossible by means of inanimate material agency to derive mechanical effort from any portion of matter by cooling it below the temperature of the coldest of the surrouding objects"
All I have to say to that is...

Wait for ittt....


Mattre?! :O


And also, I know exactly what you mean. Before I got the your wall post sayin you were back in action, I was trying to decipher Law speak.