Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Wonky Doodle

"..went to town, riding on a pony. He caught the flu and drank a frog, I like macaroni"

That's my version of the song.

Its also a great introduction to my chosen topic of reflection.
("What? He chooses what the mirror reflects? That's cool")

No. It isn't. Okay, so I lied. Call me a liar.
("Yeah, I just did."
"Great. Go soak your head")

So what I figured I'd update this blog with, is something that's been intriguing me for a heck of a long time now. The first time I thought about it, I was completely astounded. I couldn't get my head around the concept, and I was curious beyond belief. Sadly, I couldn't experiment and find out, 'cause this is one of those things where you cannot experiment, as you shall soon find out.

So here we go.

What does a deaf, blind mute experience in this world? I mean, he/she (let's say he, that way, I have to type out less letters) cannot see/talk/hear. The only two things they can sense, is touch, and smell. And that isn't much. They'd get the occasional whiff of perfume, and feel the odd touch. And that's about it.

How would they communicate hunger? How would they know where to place their hand on the plate to eat? How would anyone teach them anything about the world? 'Cause we all know that kids learn about the world by observing it. But these people can't. They can't see a table, they can't hear the sound of their parents' voice, they can't communicate to ask questions.

To quote Simon And Garfunkel "I am a rock, I am an island".

That is essentially what the deaf, blind mute would be thinking. If he thinks in a particular language that is. I think in English, other people in their chosen language. But these guys have never heard a language. They cannot speak, they have never heard a language spoken. Hence they cannot think in any particular language.

What would they do all day? In my opinion, if a person is forced to spend time with his own mind for more than a couple of weeks, they'd start going mad. And these guys have to do it their whole lives. Without talking. Heck, I know people who can't go without talking for an hour. They'd have to go their whole lives without hearing another person's voice. Without hearing their own voice.

This is the crazy part. How do I find out? Who do I ask for the answers? There seems to be no way of finding out. Scientists will say a whole crock of nonsense, which could be true, but it helps me in no way. I need to talk to a deaf, blind mute, but that wouldn't help, 'cause the bugger is deaf.

Hmm.

I've just thought of a couple of ideas, to teach them to communicate. They could be shown a perfume every time they were expected to have a bath, or have a bath given to them, or whatever. They could have a sequence tapped on their forearm every time they ate, so sooner or later, they figure that tap means 'I'm hungry'. Its like training a dog. Bit by bit, although with the deaf, blind mute, there would be no vocal signals, 'cause he can't hear you.

They would lead a hard, hard life. Or an easy one. Or a boring one. Or an interesting one. Or a peaceful one. All depends on how you look at it.

Doesn't it?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brilliant topic Kitchi, a bit depressing to begin with, but I got your point, just to say, it's not always impossible to communicate with the deafblind, you'd probably have heard about Helen Keller, a deafblind from the age of 19 months, well before the normal learning age, and she managed to learn 60 different communication signs for her life and turned up to be a university graduate, an author and an activist all with just touch and smell, with no pictures and no sounds at all for her life !

well, people are amazing, this woman started as a crazy phsycho, impossible to control and communicate to, as she was unaware of even herself, but look at what she turned up to be, with years of extremely hard work and control of her teacher .... for reference :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helen_Keller

also see if you can watch this film about her life, it's brilliant & will help understand a lot :

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0246786/

Other than that, I'll be away for quite a while, so take care & be very safe my voglio friend ....
bye-bye for now ......

Kitchi said...

Possibly the first time you actually used your real name here?

I dunno.

Yeah... I have heard of Helen Keller. And I do know somewhat what she did. Which is why I figured it would be even stranger for a deaf/blind mute.

And even with Hellen Keller, learning boggles my mind.

Maybe I'll write about that next time.

~Ashley Michele~ said...

Harvey's poodle went to town
Driving a zamboni
But there was no ice in York
So he supped on spumoni

(Hah. My version of the song is better than yours.)

Ubie pretty much read my mind. I was so gonna mention Helen Keller.

Anonymous said...

Ummm ... we can't help noticing that due to the high level of unknown incompetence of our author, we turned out to be unclickable, so if needed, please copy/paste us .....

.... and feel free to hate our author, we hate him too ....

with love, the two links ...

Suzie said...

Depressing topic indeed.

You should read The Blind Boy by Colley Cibber. You probably have; it's a famous English textbook poem. The boy isn't deaf or mute, but his str does make you realize that you can't miss what you've never had. In which case, sympathy would just dishearten the person even more.

And yes, Helen Keller was amazing, but who can forget Annie Sullivan? She should be a synonym for every positive adjective in the dictionary, man.

And see, Kitchi? I commented. Ha.

Suzie said...

his story*

radha said...

First: I like your version of "Wonky Doodle". It's the kind of thing people like, mostly because it's nonsensical.

Second: The chosen topic does boggle one's mind. My father's best friend is blind and he's probably the best business man you can meet. You listen to his life story and the whole concept of living their life becomes ten times more mind-boggling. I don't know why I said that. Just felt the need to.