Wednesday, April 9, 2008

I WANT TV!

No, not really. Well, I could do without it, but its fun, right?

Yeah... TV. The epitome of human 'evolution'. We watch it, we view it, we need it. For lots of us, its better than food!

But that's my point. Why do we need it? Not only TV, but any entertainment... Music, Drama, TV, the Computer... anything. We have a need to be entertained. 'I'm bored' is a MORE than common phrase, repeated often, to no effect, other than bugging our other human counterparts.

Other animals don't need entertainment (as far as I know there aren't any dogs going 'Oh, that new TV show last night? Totally woof man!') No sirree, they don't. They're quite content chewing cud, or sleeping, or whatever it is they're doing all day. They could be thinking deep thoughts ('I wonder why there's a fluffy thing attached to my butt') or they could be thinking not-so-deep thoughts ('Who created the universe? What is my purpose in life?') but they DO NOT NEED TV!

Why then, is there a craving, a need, a desire for us to be entertained? Music is an integral part of most of our lives, it definitely is an integral part of mine... but I'm sure if we'd never invented music, I'd have been fine, maybe better. Who knows?

If one of us 'entertainment addicts' decided to go live in a tree for a week, or a month, or a year even, I'm sure we'd get along fine. The first couple of days/weeks would be spent in wondering what was on TV, or spent in a craving for music, or video games, or whatever, but after that, we'd be fine. We'd invent, we'd find things to do, forage for food, run from man eating animals, and other such engaging passtimes.

But that won't work, because our influence is all over the place, we cannot get away from entertainment. Even the African tribal chant is musical, but it isn't their sustenance. They do other things as well... like the aforementioned passtimes.

But you might be reading this and thinking 'Yeah, but we're more civilised, we don't run around trees getting chased by lions. We tame the buggers'.
Really? You're more civilised? Then spend a month in our society without ANY entertainment, except maybe Music... then you're more civilised.

In my opinion, entertainment is largely a part of our eternal quest for 'civilisation'. I think civilisation is a destruction of all things natural, live in an enclosed world, a world without a single thing unnatural, a world where we have created or tamed everything around us. We are well within reach of that goal. The way things are going on around here (here = Earth) I'm giving it another 150 years tops before it gets smashed to bits by nuclear war, or something as destructive.

With that cheerful thought, I take your leave.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmph !!

even before I start reading this Kitchi, this is what I have to say about your latest topic :

:/

what else can I say you intelligent creature from the center of the Earth .... you ....

I'll leave other comments later .....

Umair Clark (also the anonymous thing)

Kitchi said...

What?
You do not laik my latest topic?

*sniff*

:-(

Anonymous said...

cool !! .... now I feel all better about myself, I'd rather be an animal with a fluffy tail thinking about universe and life than watching a bunch of depressing soaps or the humans being at their worst character wise and socially in reality TV shows, or the news forcing me to get depressed about things not in my control ....

documentaries/cartoons/comedy are ok though I guess, also productive in most cases

but still, thanks, I do feel better and more motivated now Kitchi !!

bvvsatloceoxx

Umair Clark

Anonymous said...

Animals only go for physical entertainment, good for them. But my dog Muffy runs and stands up to see the tv whenever she sees or hears dogs and some other animals. She also watches Sponge Bob while tucked under the covers for about a half hour in the morning.

interesting though, keep it up lad

~Ashley Michele~ said...

*civilized.

Spell it right, you psuedo-British dorkface.

;-)

Anonymous said...

The picture of the lady looking so old looks terrible. I don't want to think about getting old. Although it's nice that you say age doesn't matter, I think it matters. It's depressing to look at your aging blog picture... Uhhhhh! !@##$%%^^&*() Greek Godess

Anonymous said...

Yeah! I finally associate with one of your blogs. Yes, I want TV! You're one intelligent Dude!
!@#$%^&*() Greek Godess