Sunday, November 9, 2008

Knee Jerks

So big news of the week - Obama won.
Hooray, and other assorted noises of joy and happiness. Not only for America, but for the world. 

Why, you ask?
Read the papers, fool. Its been there for the last... eon. I'm no expert on the topic. Not even close. Well, I doubt anyone can really be an expert in politics, but they've gone into it enough number of times for me to say all that again here.

Meanwhile in India, the politicians are having a whale of a time jerking their knees to anything and everything. 
What really astounded me was to see the following headline in a national newspaper "When will India find its Obama?"

What I figured I would be reading was an article about the stale politics in India, and how we are desperately in need of some new people, who aren't all about extorting the people at every elections. 
What I got instead was an article about how likely it was that India would get a dalit president. 

Ouch is all I was thinking, all through the article. Which I didn't read past line two, by the way. 

These people have joyfully ignored Obama's achievements in terms of him convincing America that at a relatively yound age, he was fit to be president, and his policies, and how he would try and lead America out of the stone age, and have instead chosen to see only this - A black president. 
A president from a minority community. A president from people traditionally marginalised. 
Is this what it's all about? A president from a minority community?

This is sick.
It's also a complete knee jerk reaction. They've got a minority president. Quick! Find one from here!
Quite sad, really.

I had a joke lined up, punning on the title. But I have no opportunity to use it.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I quite agree. It's sad.
Same thing for Hamilton as well, isn't it?

Kitchi said...

Not quite, but pretty much there.

I don't know why I bother typing all this out. I might as well just call you and tell you.
+D

That's the cyclops in me.

Anonymous said...

Obviously not quite.
One is at the helm of world domination. The thermade Alonso (and obviously Flippy) cry.

And calling is for funny things!

Kitchi said...

True.
But this is reasonably entertaining.
That counts as sub for funny, methinks.

Suzie said...

Out of context, but is there anywhere I can read your nanowrimo work? Intrigues me to no end.